Teenagers may be the worst hit when they are addicted to alcoholism on a global level. The minimum age of individuals who are being addicted to alcohol is just decreasing year by year. Today, it is neither surprising nor shocking to find individuals who have just entered their teens to be addicted to alcohol. It should be noticed that one deals with a teenager and with a grownup in different manners. In the same vein, there should be different treatment centers for teenagers as well as other adults. Even though there are plenty of deaddiction centers that are specialized and focused towards teenagers, there are several problems faced by these institutions at the initial outset.
Teen alcohol abuse in Georgia is handled in specific ways so as to meet the needs of the young patients. The following are some of the aspects associated with it.
1. There are several and innumerable reasons that a teenager would be in denial about his or her condition. Firstly, accepting that you have a problem is a symbol of humility and even a matter of embarrassment in some circles. Also, teenagers have a different frame of mind, something like the now classic ‘rebel without a cause’. This may cause them not to understand and accept their problem; therefore create an uncomfortable scenario for people who wish to genuinely help them.
Some teenagers would not even know whether they are addicted to alcohol or are abusing alcohol. Simply because their youth will not allow them to suffer from the initial hangovers or ‘next day weakness’ to the fullest extent. Of course, they will have some discomfort the first time they start abusing alcohol, but all that would just be matter of time for their young body and mindset. In such a scenario, the only thing that people and institutions that wish to help them would have to contact their parents or their guardians.
2. The constitution of a teenager is quite different than the constitution of an adult. Therefore, teenagers will not be able to handle the strict and rigid detoxification program that an adult will go through. Alcohol abuse calls for some strong medicines and the frail bodies of teenagers will not be able to handle these strong medicines, simply because teenagers have a lesser tolerance than adults. The symptoms of alcohol abuse medicines can range from simple but painful cramps to even passing out completely. Therefore, alcohol addiction treatment is a difficult period for the person administering the treatment as well as the teenager undergoing the program.
3. Again, the medicines are quite different from teenagers and adults. Maintenance medicines for alcohol addiction and deaddiction are quite strong and not every teenager would be able to handle these medicines. Therefore, it would become quite difficult to administer these drugs, especially because their side effects on children may be almost anything.
4. The other tricky situation is the counseling. Though counseling is quite an important part of any after care program, this may not have any effect on the teenage mindset. The counseling is when the patient is made to understand the problems they are currently facing due to their addiction and the problems that would be occurring in their later life. However, teenagers are simply not mature enough to understand these problems, or even give a serious thought to their own lives. Therefore, this entire exercise would be a great waste for the teenager.
5. Alcohol is not the only addiction that teenagers would be having. Teenagers have a conundrum of addictions, and alcohol is just one of them. This may create quite a complex scenario for them and it would be very difficult to get to their psyche and mind over and above the various addictions they have and the problems that they would be facing because of these addictions.
6. Teenagers are just on the verge of becoming full blown alcohol addicts at any time. Therefore, the people who are counseling or treating them should treat them with care and understand the risks that underlie if they do not succeed in making the teenager completely forget about their bad habits and their alcohol addiction.
7. Alcohol addiction plays havoc with the mental and physical psyche of a human being. Therefore, it would be quite difficult for anyone to try and solve the addiction without the help of talented and experienced personnel. Also, because of the given age, even some experienced personnel would find it difficult to handle teenagers. Simply put, teenagers are simply not mature enough to understand the grave danger that their lives are in.
These are just some of the aspects of teenager alcohol abuse in Georgia and the methods used to correct them. But of course, medical professionals all over the world are quickly trying to come to a solution for this problem.